What is Com Surrogate? The com surrogate process is one of the most difficult and researched issues for Windows 10 users. In this content you will find all the details about what is comm surrogate.
What is a com surrogate?
If you’re a Windows user, chances are you’ve seen the term “com surrogate” in task manager or elsewhere on your computer. Com stands for Component Object Model. This is an interface used by Microsoft. Com objects are an interface that is also used by other applications in Windows.
For example, when you run a file as an administrator on your Windows computer, the system uses Com objects to create thumbnails of images and files. In short, the com object is the interfaces used to process videos, files, images and generate thumbnails.
The crash of com objects may cause some applications to stop working on the computer, and in this case, you may encounter the warning “com surrogate has stopped working”. Here, Microsoft has released the COM Surrogate application for the solution of any disorder that may occur in Com objects. The COM Surrogate process creates the Com object outside of the original processes, causing the Com object to crash. In this case, only the com object crashes and your original computer operations continue.
Com objects hosted by the COM Surrogate process are located on our computer with the name “dllhost.exe”. To summarize briefly, the main task of COM Surrogate is to crash Com objects without damaging our computer.
Can windows com surrogate be disabled?
Com surrogate is one of the necessary parts for the Windows operating system. Therefore, it cannot be disabled. As we mentioned above, com surrogate is an inclusive process that is necessary for the healthy operation of other com objects.
Is COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe) a virus?
Some people think it’s a virus. But com surrogate is an essential part of win10 and other operating systems and is definitely not a virus. But I can say that it is software used by malware. For example, viruses such as Trojan, Poweliks target the “dllhost.exe” file. If there are too many dllhost.exe running on your computer, it means that the files may be infected. In such a case, we need to run virus programs.
Com surrogate task manager errors and solutions
Com surrogate can create some errors in windows 10 and other operating systems. The most common errors encountered by users are:
- Com surrogate has stopped working,
- Windows 10 com surrogate high cpu usage,
- COM Surrogate is not responding,
- COM Surrogate crash.
If you are encountering the above errors related to com surrogate, you can try the following.
Method 1: Roll back driver
Usually errors occur due to incompatibility in the driver. The best solution here is to restore the driver. Follow the steps below to restore the driver;
- First, press the “Windows” and “R” keys on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the “Run” screen.
- Type the command “‘devmgmt.msc'” in the run box that opens and press the “Enter” key.
- After this process, you will be directed to the “Windows device manager” section.
- On the screen that opens, go to the ‘Display Adapter’ section. Click the down arrow in this section.
- After listing the drivers, open the video driver. Right click and go to properties.
- Find the relevant driver in the Properties section. Click the “Roll Back Driver” section. If the color is gray you may have to install the previous version of the video card.
Method 2:Add Data Execution Prevention
As I mentioned above in the “dllhost.exe com surrogate” section, Com Surrogate contains DLL files. Therefore, adding Data Execution Prevention (DEP) will help resolve the issues. To add DEP, follow the steps below;
- Go to the “Start” section of your computer and open the “Control Panel” application from there.
- Make a list by selecting the ‘Large Icons’ filters in the “View by” option at the top right of the control panel page.
- On the page that opens, find the “System” icon and click on it.
- After logging into the system setting page, enter the “Advanced system settings” section.
- Then follow the “Advanced-Performance-Settings” steps in order. After these actions, a new pop-up window with system settings will appear.
- On this screen, you will see the “Performance Options” section at the top of the page.
- In this section, select “Data Execution Prevention” and then “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.
- Here you need to add dllhost.exe com surrogate files by saying “Add”. For this process, go to System32 and choose dllhost.
- After selecting all Dllhost files hit “Apply” and “Enter”.
In this content, I tried to give information about what is com surrogate in task manager. If you have a question about “what is com surrogate windows 10”, you can ask in the comment section. I can answer all your questions about the topic “dllhost exe com surrogate”.