A backlink is a link from one website to another website. This link is located on a page of the source website and becomes accessible by clicking on the relevant page of the target website.
Backlinks play an important role in the search engine optimization (SEO) strategies of websites. Search engines expect a website to have quality and natural backlinks to its pages, increasing the website’s credibility and authority and improving its rankings. However, in cases where there are malicious backlinks or low-quality backlinks, search engines may penalize these backlinks and lower the website’s ranking.
What is a backlink in seo?
In terms of SEO, backlinks are one of the most important factors that affect the ranking of websites in search engines. Search engines expect a website to have quality and natural backlinks to its pages, increasing the website’s credibility and authority and improving its rankings.
The importance of backlinks starts with determining how reliable the website is for search engines by other websites. High-quality and natural backlinks to a website show that the content of that website is also valued by other people. This also helps search engines create a positive perception of the quality of the website.
Also, backlinks increase the authority of a website. Authority refers to how competent a website is on a particular subject. High authority backlinks to a website indicate that that website is competent in that subject, which leads search engines to give that website a higher ranking.
However, the quality of backlinks is also important. In cases where there are malicious backlinks or low-quality backlinks, search engines can penalize these backlinks and lower the ranking of the website. Therefore, backlink building strategies should focus on obtaining quality and natural backlinks.
Backlinks can have different types of links to a website. Some backlink types and descriptions are:
- DoFollow Backlink: DoFollow backlinks are the default link type used for links to a website. DoFollow backlinks are tracked by search engines and can contribute to the target website’s ranking in search engines. For example, a link in a blog post might be DoFollow.
- NoFollow Backlink: NoFollow backlinks are links marked with a tag that indicates that search engines should not follow. This link type is used to prevent spam links in comments. NoFollow backlinks are not tracked by search engines but can increase the traffic of the target website. For example, a link in a forum post might be NoFollow.
- Edu and Gov Backlinks: Edu and Gov backlinks are links to educational and government institutions. Such backlinks increase the credibility of these sites, which are considered to have a high authority by search engines. For example, a link on a university website might be an Edu backlink.
- Content Backlinks: Content backlinks are links to a page on a website. Such backlinks can highlight relevant and valuable content on the target page and are therefore considered a ranking factor by search engines. For example, a link in a blog post could be a content backlink.
- Social Media Backlinks: Social media backlinks are links in a social media profile or posts that point to a website. Such backlinks increase the social media presence of the website and can increase traffic. For example, a link in a Twitter post could be a social media backlink.
These types of backlinks can affect a website’s SEO performance and, when achieved with the right strategies, can increase the website’s authority and rankings.
What is a backlink profile?
A backlink profile is the sum of all backlinks directed to a website. A backlink profile is an indicator that determines how valuable a website is to other sites.
The backlink profile is an important part of a website’s SEO performance because search engines care about the quality and naturalness of a website’s backlinks. A good backlink profile can increase the credibility and authority of the website and can be given a higher ranking by search engines.
Backlink profile analysis is used to determine what types of backlinks a website has and the quality of those backlinks. A backlink profile analysis shows where the website has backlinks, from which websites it gets backlinks, and what types of links the backlinks are.
Backlink profile analysis can also help detect malicious backlinks. Malicious backlinks can lower the ranking of the website and even cause the website to be penalized by the search engines.
For a website to create a good backlink profile, it is important to get high quality and natural backlinks. Natural backlinks are links created by other websites because of the quality and value of the content. High-quality backlinks should reflect the quality and value of the website’s content. Creating a backlink profile is an important part of a website’s long-term SEO strategy.
What is disavow backlinks?
As we detailed above in what is a backlink strategy, not all backlinks are beneficial to your page. In particular, backlinks that have a lot of links to other sites and are not related to your website content will cause your website to drop in rankings and even spam. Therefore, you should reject these harmful backlinks to your website with the Google Disawow application. Detection of harmful backlinks Ahrefs,Semrush and Google Search Console you have to do it using . After detecting them, you need to save them in a notepad in the appropriate format and upload them to the google disawow tool.
How to get backlinks?
With the latest spam algorithm update made by Google, sites with a high number of backlinks received from paid or low-authority sites were taken into spam and their organic hits were greatly reduced. The most valuable backlinks for Google are natural backlinks. For this reason, I recommend that you get backlinks that can be obtained naturally from sites with high authority.
You can check the backlinks coming to your website or the backlinks of the competitor site with the free Backlink Checker programs. The sites where you can check backlinks for free are:
- Ahrefs’ backlink Checker. To use Backlink Ahrefs tool, you need to verify your site on the google search console and log in to Ahrefs with the e-mail address you verified.
- Neilpatel.com. There is no membership requirement. After visiting our page and entering the domain, you can check for free backlinks.
Wikipedia is one of the sites with high authority. It is not so easy to get backlinks from this site, which has thousands of visitors every day. There are those who do this for a fee, but since the work is not permanent, it can do more harm than good. The best way to get backlinks from Wikipedia is to produce informative and quality content.
Free backlink sites
There are many sites where you can find backlinks for free. However, I definitely do not recommend getting backlinks from these sites. I made this mistake and one of my sites fell into spam. For this reason, I definitely do not recommend getting backlinks from sites where everyone has backlinks and link output is high.